Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Skellig, Almond


"We can't know. Sometimes we just have to accept that there are things we can't know."

Michael moves into a new house, meets his new neighbor, worries about his baby sister, helps his dad fix up the yard and finds a strange creature in the decrepit shed. What is this creature who eats Chinese food and drinks beer? He's feeble and scalely and covered in dead bugs, cobwebs and dust. But Michael is compassionately drawn to him and gets his new neighbor, Mina, to help save him. Now, can this strange being save his family?

The book is beautifully written and deals with issues of life and death and what to do when you don't understand how or why things are the way they are. If you like Bridge to Terabithia or Tuck Everlasting, you'll enjoy this book and its exploration of how people can impact and change one another.

6 comments:

  1. Well, I hated Bridge to Teribithia but I loved Tuck Everlasting, so maybe I would sort-of-hate and sort-of-like this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I really liked both these books!!! There's even a movie for "Tuck Everlasting"!!!!! *HA*!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Bridge to Terabithia! We started to read Tuck Everlasting last year, but never finished it. I will have to read that sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would probably like to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, Joshua, I will fix my error.

    ReplyDelete